Issues when using pinecone-java-sdk

Hi Pinecone developers,

Today I tried to run test under pinecone-java-client however I am always failed with the following error. I should have the correct parameters set.

[grpc-nio-worker-ELG-1-2] DEBUG io.netty.util.ResourceLeakDetectorFactory - Loaded default ResourceLeakDetector: io.netty.util.ResourceLeakDetector@49ed0315

UNAVAILABLE: io exception
Channel Pipeline: [SslHandler#0, ProtocolNegotiators$ClientTlsHandler#0, WriteBufferingAndExceptionHandler#0, DefaultChannelPipeline$TailContext#0]
io.grpc.StatusRuntimeException: UNAVAILABLE: io exception
Channel Pipeline: [SslHandler#0, ProtocolNegotiators$ClientTlsHandler#0, WriteBufferingAndExceptionHandler#0, DefaultChannelPipeline$TailContext#0]
	at io.grpc.stub.ClientCalls.toStatusRuntimeException(ClientCalls.java:262)
	at io.grpc.stub.ClientCalls.getUnchecked(ClientCalls.java:243)
	at io.grpc.stub.ClientCalls.blockingUnaryCall(ClientCalls.java:156)
	at io.pinecone.proto.VectorServiceGrpc$VectorServiceBlockingStub.upsert(VectorServiceGrpc.java:440)
	at io.pinecone.PineconeClientLiveIntegTest.sanity(PineconeClientLiveIntegTest.java:85)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
	at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:59)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:12)
	at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:56)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod.evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:17)
	at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.RunBefores.evaluate(RunBefores.java:26)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:306)
	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner$1.evaluate(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:100)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runLeaf(ParentRunner.java:366)
	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:103)
	at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:63)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$4.run(ParentRunner.java:331)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:79)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:329)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$100(ParentRunner.java:66)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:293)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:306)
	at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:413)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.runTestClass(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:110)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.execute(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:58)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassExecutor.execute(JUnitTestClassExecutor.java:38)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.AbstractJUnitTestClassProcessor.processTestClass(AbstractJUnitTestClassProcessor.java:62)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.SuiteTestClassProcessor.processTestClass(SuiteTestClassProcessor.java:51)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:36)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:24)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ContextClassLoaderDispatch.dispatch(ContextClassLoaderDispatch.java:33)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ProxyDispatchAdapter$DispatchingInvocationHandler.invoke(ProxyDispatchAdapter.java:94)
	at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy2.processTestClass(Unknown Source)
	at org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.worker.TestWorker.processTestClass(TestWorker.java:119)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:36)
	at org.gradle.internal.dispatch.ReflectionDispatch.dispatch(ReflectionDispatch.java:24)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHubBackedObjectConnection$DispatchWrapper.dispatch(MessageHubBackedObjectConnection.java:182)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHubBackedObjectConnection$DispatchWrapper.dispatch(MessageHubBackedObjectConnection.java:164)
	at org.gradle.internal.remote.internal.hub.MessageHub$Handler.run(MessageHub.java:414)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ExecutorPolicy$CatchAndRecordFailures.onExecute(ExecutorPolicy.java:64)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ManagedExecutorImpl$1.run(ManagedExecutorImpl.java:48)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
	at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ThreadFactoryImpl$ManagedThreadRunnable.run(ThreadFactoryImpl.java:56)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
	at sun.nio.ch.FileDispatcherImpl.read0(Native Method)
	at sun.nio.ch.SocketDispatcher.read(SocketDispatcher.java:39)
	at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.readIntoNativeBuffer(IOUtil.java:223)
	at sun.nio.ch.IOUtil.read(IOUtil.java:192)
	at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.read(SocketChannelImpl.java:379)
	at io.netty.buffer.PooledByteBuf.setBytes(PooledByteBuf.java:253)
	at io.netty.buffer.AbstractByteBuf.writeBytes(AbstractByteBuf.java:1132)
	at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChannel.doReadBytes(NioSocketChannel.java:350)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:151)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:722)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:658)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:584)
	at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:496)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$4.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:986)

And after I replace the endpoint value in pinecone-java-client/PineconeConnection.java with the endpoint test-8ebbad6.svc.us-west1-gcp.pinecone.io in my Pinecone console, I can run the PineconeClientLiveIntegTest successfully.

So it seems the sdk composed endpoint is problematic: test-testproject.svc.us-west1-gcp.pinecone.io

And I used the free plan default project for my test, I renamed the project name to testproject

Also, I tried python SDK, it works as expected.

Could you help with this issue? We need the java SDK to integrate with our online scala service and Spark part for uploading embeddings.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hey @zhenglaizhang !
The project names that you can set in the console vs what we use in the backend are different.
You can see the project name that we use internally right below the index name in the console, in your case ‘8ebbad6’, that’s what the client expects. Also, we are in the process of making some fixes/changes to the Java client hence it might be a little unstable. Apologies!

If you are willing to wait a few days, we can also give you a spark connector for Pinecone that can help you with your pipelines.

1 Like

@rajat Thanks for the explanation! I understood it now!

So it’s better to explain it somewhere (e.g. code comment), I was just confused for a while :slight_smile:

And it seems currently java SDK only exposes blocking stub, can you help expose the async stub PineconeConnection.java#L36 ? As our online service are mostly implemented as async processing, so async stub would be a better fit for us.

Last, GLAD that Spark connector will be ready. This will be extremely useful for our ML side ingestion.

@zhenglaizhang yeah I think making this distinction in the client README would be helpful, I’ll do it.

Regarding the async stub, I’ll put it on our to-do list and will get to it as soon as we can.

1 Like

@rajat great, looking forward to the future release.

btw, it seems to upload through gRPC flavor can reach ~5k/s speed per Updating indices vs. needing a new one every run - Support - Pinecone Community, will the java SDK support it?

@zhenglaizhang The java SDK uses gRPC by default so you should see 4-5k vectors per second. Another way to increase speed can be to use multiple instances of the client.

1 Like