Did anyone else just have their index deleted "due to inactivity"?

I got an email “reminder” that mine would be deleted on March 8, despite 39K API calls in the last week:
Reminder: Your index will be terminated in 7 days due to inactivity

Deletion algorithms gone wild.

Hello everyone,

As you all know by now, we at Pinecone had an incident earlier today involving some of our Starter (free) tier indexes. We’ll be publishing a post-mortem in the coming days and have just sent out a message to all of the affected customers. If you were one of those, please check your email for those details.

We understand that our customers’ data is their lifeblood, and even our Starter tier customers depend on the availability of the data they trust us with. We want to make sure that all of our customers, regardless of how much, or even if at all, they pay us, know that their indexes are safe, secure, and available. We’ll be working hard behind the scenes to make this right for all of the affected customers, and want to reiterate that we value each and every one of you.

We’re very sorry for any inconvenience caused by this incident.

2 Likes

This was very bad timing for me - I’d just launched a proof-of-concept chat bot and shared it on LinkedIn, literally two hours before this outage :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

I’m feeling for the engineer who inadvertently ran the script deleting our indexes. Most of us have done something similar at least once in our careers!

Pinecone seems a really good tool in general - until yesterday I was really impressed with it. I’m hoping this is atypical of their service.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

We have a pinned page with the latest status updates and information. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding during this time. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused by this incident.

https://community.pinecone.io/t/march-1st-incident-that-affected-indexes-on-the-starter-free-plan/724/2

1 Like